The Pitti Palace, largest and most monumental Florentine building, was the residence of the Grand Dukes of Tuscany and later, of the royal family when Florence became capital of Italy. The design of the Palace was probably taken from a model designed by the great architect Brunelleschi, and was originally commissioned in 1457 by a wealthy banker, Luca Pitti. When the Medici family bought it one century later, it was remodeled and enlarged by the architect Ammannati.
The Pitti Palace is important for housing six museums. One of these if the famous Galleria Palatina whose magnificent rooms frescoed by Pietro da Cortona are the setting for a beautiful collection of paintings by the greatest masters of 16th and 17th century. A visit to the gallery will take you from Raffaelo, Titian, Giorgione and Tintoretto to the Flemish artists such as Rubens and Van Dyck, ending with the genius of Caravaggio.
These guided tous in Florence are especially appreciated in the warmer season, a pleasant time to visit Boboli garden.